Indian Air Force was formed under the Indian Air Force Act on October 8, 1932 it has proved its mettle numerous times and fulfilled its duty of providing aerial security to the hilt. One of the key components of the Indian defence mechanism, the Indian Air Force (IAF) ranks among the best in the world. As the Indian Air Force will celebrates its 87th Air Force Day on 8th October 2019, we bring you inspiring & Amazing facts about the IAF that'll make every Indian proud. Check it out.
1. The IAF flag, adopted in 1951, is blue in colour and contains the National Flag in the first quadrant and a roundel of the Tricolour.
2. Its motto Nabha Sparsham Deeptham is taken from the eleventh chapter of the Bhagvad Gita.
3. At 22,000 ft (or 6,706 m), Siachen GlacierAFS is the highest Air Force Station of the IAF.
4. The IAF created a world record by performing the highest landing of a C-130J at the Daulat Beg Oldi airstrip in Ladakh at the height of 16614 feet (5065 meters).
5. A special forces unit of the Indian Air Force, the Garud Commando Force was founded in the year 2004. With 2000 personnel, it has the longest training course among all the other Indian special forces. The Garud Commando Force is renowned for its skills and rescue operations.
6. The IAF is the only air force that operates C-17 Globemaster III, C-130J Super Hercules, and Il-76 – the three largest transport aircrafts.
7. Operation Rahat was the biggest civilian rescue operation in the world carried out by any air force using helicopters. the Indian Air Force made a world record in aviation by airlifting almost 20,000 civilians.